Three days ago we celebrated Ben's birthday. To make his day special, Ben's parents came over for dinner. I made Ben's favorite, beef ribs, and the dessert, while his mom made rolls, salad, beans, and potatoes. I thought it would be fun to do something different for his birthday cake, so I decided to make an ice cream cake (part cake and part ice cream). I hadn't ever done this before, so I kind of made it up as I went along....and as usual when I try to "make things up" they don't turn out at all like I envision. I started by making two square chocolate cake layers, and after they had cooled I took out the ice cream to soften while I made the frosting. When I was done with the frosting, I spread the soft ice cream between the two layers of cake. Then, the idea was to quickly frost it to hold in the ice cream and then put it back in the freezer. Well, since the ice cream was already soft, it had already started to melt by the time I started to frost it. As hard as I tried to use the frosting to keep the melting ice cream in, it still seeped out. And by the time it was frozen again, there were frozen puddles of ice cream on either side of the cake. It wouldn't have been too bad, except the layer of ice cream left between the cake layers was extremely thin. Oh well! It's the thought that counts, right?! Happy Birthday Ben!
1 year ago

I think you are brave for even trying to make an ice cream cake. Did it atleast taste good? You are good to try new things and without a recipe, just making things up as you go? AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteWow Celia you are so brave to try so many new things. I always just buy cakes. And I love your crochet projects. You should sell them bc I know I would buy them!!!!! You really are an amazingly talented person. I knew you were super smart but now I really know you can do anything!!!
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait to see you guys!!!!